Monday, November 26, 2012

knock-off: pottery barn skull plaque

Pin It

deer heads & antlers.  they are everywhere right now in home decor.  have you noticed? 


i ran across this faux skull plaque at pottery barn and had to have one.  instead of buying it i figured i could recreate my own.  all i needed was a plaque and skull.

luckily my family deer hunts so i have plenty of antlers and skulls lying around.  i used a piece of scrap pine that i had and cut out the plaque shape, routered the edges, and stained it.  the skull that i wanted to use was old.  the antlers were faded and the skull was yellow.  i used the same stain that i used on the plaque to stain the antlers to make them darker.  then i used some white paint for the skull.


i cut out a scrap piece of pine to fit inside of the skull and glued it so i would have a way of attaching it to the plaque.  once it was dry i predrilled holes on the back of the plaque and screwed the skull to place.  since i already had the wood, skull, and paint the only cost i had in this project was the stain.  not bad, huh?  :)

i hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving and have a great week!

linking with...
 
sunday
monday
tuesday
saturday


23 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!! Hubby is going hunting this weekend! Hoping he brings me home some antlers so I can make one too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, we have several of these laying around in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...making your own! I love decorating with antlers. You're right...they are everywhere in decor these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We find dropped antlers around here and I like to use them in decor, too.

    Thanks so much for linking up,
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't believe you created that, and it looks pretty much exactly like the Pottery Barn one. Great job! Now if only I had some hunters in the family, I might be able to make one myself. :)
    Debbie
    Oh, I found you over at Debbiedoo's newbie link party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my son is 4 and loves hunting with daddy, he has 2 sets of antlers from hunting and I was wondering how i could do one like this to match the one done by a pro of a whole head. looks like i've got it handled now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have noticed the antlers everywhere and I confess, I LOVE them. I found a set for sale and I need to do what you have done. Yours looks GREAT!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did AMAZING! It's seriously identical! Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello!
    thanks for linking up with Think Outside The Blog!
    new follower, follow back? :)
    http://www.theeclecticgrabbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi. i'm following the blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this! It's great! Anyways, I'm a new follower from Tickled Pink. Hope you had a great Friday!

    Anestazia
    http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you did a great job, and they look awesome! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!! Hope you are having a great weekend.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. yours doesn't really
    look like a knock-off

    it's the real deal!

    thanks for sharing
    at Fridays Unfolded

    now following!

    {alison}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That a wonderful knock off indeed. So glad you shared it with my party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, I wouldn't even know where to get a deer head. lol! us city girls!

    Thanks for linking up last week at the Humble Brag. Hope you'll come back tomorrow to link up. Also the Silhouette Cameo giveaway ends this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ladies! Your PB knockoff skull plaque is so cool! I wanted to let you know I featured it in a 20 Best Pottery Barn Knockoff post today on Two It Yourself. http://www.twoityourself.com/2014/01/20-pottery-barn-knockoff-diy-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I have noticed the antlers everywhere and I confess, I LOVE them. I found a set for sale and I need to do what you have done. Yours looks GREAT!
    website development vancouver ,
    web development company vancouver ,

    ReplyDelete